Construction work has nearly wrapped up at The Poplar at 900 North 9th Street in Poplar, North Philadelphia, converting the prewar structure into residential space. Formerly known as the Quaker Building, the structure stands 11 stories tall next to the elevated SEPTA regional rail rail line, and was completed in 1918 as a factory loft. The 285-unit conversion project has been designed by Cosica Moos Architecture and developed by the Post Brothers, which is also responsible for the massive Piazza Terminal project in Northern Liberties.
In the last update, it was apparent that the construction was coming to an end. The exterior of the building had not finished receiving its blue coat of paint at the time, with the old façade sandblasted and standing out more with its bright color. Lots of interior work was underway with crews all around the building, along with work on the amenity deck on the north side of the building, where a pool will give residents incredible views of the skyline.
Our recent walk around the site reveals that a lot has happened since the last observation. Now, the entire exterior of the building is coated with blue paint. Work is also finishing up in the interiors, as the lobby looks just about done with no construction materials in sight. On the west side of the building is a construction elevator that is still attached, but that will likely soon come down.
The project will likely open in the near future as the building is 25% leased.