In the 1970s the Philadelphia skyline was on the rise, with bulky new office towers being constructed throughout Center City. At this time, the “Gentlemen’s Agreement” was untouched, as every structure stood below the height of the statue of William Penn at the top of City Hall. New high-rises were adding substantial amounts of office space and dominated the previous structures that stood out in the skyline, and featured various designs with stone, metal, and glass cladding. Philadelphia YIMBY presents massing renderings of the skyline as it stood in 1975, when Brutalist architecture dominated much of the financial district, including the area around City Hall.
In the visuals, both PSFS Building and City Hall appear prominently as they top the skyline with the 303-foot antenna and 37-foot tall statue. Both prewar structures stand to the east of where most of the new developments of the period had risen, which stand to the west of the older commercial district that includes structures such as The Drake at 1525 Spruce Street and the building now known as the Aria at 1425 Locust Street. The towers that were constructed during this time frame feature mixtures of metal, stone, and glass that makes the 1970s architecture feature prominently on the skyline to this day.
In 1971, the same year Veterans Stadium had opened, the 384-foot tall PECO Building became the first tower of the decade to make a mark on the skyline. 1601 Market Street followed shortly after as it had risen closer to City Hall at 490 feet, with 1845 Walnut Street and One Meridian Plaza rising in 1972 and the two Centre Square towers rising in 1973 with the Clothespin sculpture by Claes Oldenberg in front of the complex on Market Street. 2000 Market Street was also constructed in the same year with dark metal and glass standing 435 feet high. Two years later, two more towers had risen in the skyline as the 500 foot 1818 Market Street had been constructed in the previous year and the 384 foot 1650 Arch Street had finished construction in 1975.