Permits have been filed for the construction of a single-family structure at 2505 North Mascher Street in West Kensington. The building will replace an overgrown lot with a metal fence surrounding the property. The attached structure will include a roof deck. The site, which sits close to the corner of North Mascher Street and West Cumberland Street, is owned by NHA Development LLC.
Renovations are planned for International House, a 14-story, 221,000-square-foot building at 3701 Chestnut Street in University City, West Philadelphia. The Brutalist building’s number of residential units will rise from the current 346 to 400, and a grocery store will take up the ground floor. A new 14-story wing will be built on the side of the property fronting Chestnut Street, replacing a plaza. The developer, CSC Co-Living, has secured a $33 million loan for the project.
The Family Court Building at 1801 Vine Street in Center City’s Logan Square area was designed by John T. Widrim and W.R. Morton Keast and built between 1938 and 1941. In 2014, the Philadelphia Family Court moved out and the Peebles Corporation purchased the building with plans to convert it into a 220-room Journal Hotel. The hotel will span 250,000 square feet and feature a roof terrace, lounge area and spa. In addition to the hotel, Peebles is also considering options for some office space within the development.
Permits have been filed for the demolition of a three-story rowhouse and the construction of another three-story, three-unit residential structure at 1854 North 17th Street in the Cecil B. Moore neighborhood in North Philadelphia. Alfa Engineering Inc. is the listed design professional and Patel Pankaj is the listed owner of the property, which is located a few blocks west of Temple University.
Most new developments proposed along Benjamin Franklin Parkway in the Logan Square area of Center City consist of ground-up construction, yet at least one will involve a major renovation instead. The eight-story office building at 1709 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, also known as the United Way Building, was designed by Mitchell/Giurgola Associates and was completed in 1971 with a height of 89 feet and over 60,000 square feet of floor space. In April 2018, Pearl Properties purchased the entire building for $10.9 million. The exterior will remain largely intact, yet the interior will be thoroughly renovated up to a competitive 21st century standard. The future tenant will also have the option to install their logo on the the building parapet.