A zoning permit has been issued for the construction of a three-unit residential structure at 1932 North 4th Street in Norris Square, North Philadelphia. The building will rise at the northwest corner of North 4th and West Hewson streets. The filing does not specify a floor count but judging by its number of units and a specification of balconies at the second and third stories, it will likely stand three stories tall. Dorothy Ricci is listed as the property owner and Designblendz Architecture LLP is the contractor.
In the late 1800’s, ten city blocks in Center City were converted into an elevated railroad spur that serviced multiple rail lines, connected to the Broad Street Station just to the west of City Hall, near the current space Dilworth Park. A massive train shed stood behind the station, rising multiple stories tall and prominent from many directions. Designed by the Wilson Brothers, the project was developed by the Pennsylvania Railroad and was completed on December 5, 1881. The centerpiece was a five-story Victorian Gothic headhouse facing City Hall.
A rendering has been revealed for a 25-unit residential development at 314 South 46th Street as construction begins on the project located in Garden Court, West Philadelphia. YIMBY shared news of the project in August, stating that permits were issued for the property. Developed by High Top Real Estate, the project includes a renovation of a former church, which will receive a third floor as well as an attached four-story addition.
Excavation is underway at 1319-23 Schuylkill Avenue in the Forgotten Bottom section of Grays Ferry in South Philadelphia. The development is located at the intersection of Schuylkill Avenue and Earl Street, near the entrance to the Grays Ferry Crescent Trail, one of the neighborhood’s main draws. The project will rise three stories and will include 12 condo units.
One Meridian Plaza was a 492-foot-tall, 38-story skyscraper that used to stand on the current site of the Residences at Ritz Carlton and the W/Element Hotel at 1416 South Penn Square in Center City, across from City Hall. The building began construction in 1968 and opened in 1972, just after the construction of the 1980’s skyscraper boom. Designed by Vincent and Kling and Associates and developed by Girard Bank and Fidelity Mutual Life Insurance, the tower was extensively damaged by a fatal fire in 1991 and demolished in 1999.